This was OK - I've made 3 of the 4 farro salad variations in this (June 2012) issue, and this was the most boring. My favorite, by far, is the one with corn and basil. But its helped me discover my (new) love of farro!
Photo: Johnny Autry
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 90
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 14.8g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 329mg
- Calcium: 12mg
- 1 (8.5-ounce) package precooked farro (such as Archer Farms)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Heat farro according to directions.
- 2. Combine vinegar and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 3. Add cooked farro and parsley to vinegar mixture; toss to coat.
- Variation 1: Tomato and Cucumber Prepare base recipe through step 2, substituting 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice for sherry vinegar. Add cooked farro, 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato, 1/2 cup diced cucumber, 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves, 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, and 1/4 cup chopped green onions to lemon juice mixture; toss to coat. Serves 4 (serving size: 3/4 cup) CALORIES 97; FAT 4g (sat 0.5g); SODIUM 330mg
- Variation 2: Basil and Corn Prepare base recipe through step 2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears) to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add cooked farro, corn, and 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil to vinaigrette; toss to coat. Serves 4 (serving size: about 3/4 cup) CALORIES 157; FAT 7.9g (sat 1g); SODIUM 332mg
- VARIATION 3: Onion, Feta, and Bell Pepper Prepare base recipe through step 2, omitting salt. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup diced red onion and 1/2 cup diced orange bell pepper to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add cooked farro, onion, and bell pepper to vinaigrette; toss to coat. Fold in 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese. Serves 4 (serving size: 3/4 cup) CALORIES 156; FAT 9.4g (sat 2.4g); SODIUM 136mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This