I just did seasoned flour 1st then an egg with a little milk then some plain bread crumbs. Crunchy and great
Parmesan Zucchini Sticks with Smoky Roasted Romesco Sauce
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Crunchy breaded zucchini spears are delicious dipped in a summery sauce of roasted red peppers. The sauce is a zesty embellishment for grilled meats, too.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 6 zucchini sticks and 1/4 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 170
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 8.4g
- Carbohydrate: 23.4g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 434mg
- Calcium: 107mg
- 3 medium red bell peppers
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup (1/2-inch) cubed French bread baguette, crusts removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smoked almonds
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 large zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. To prepare sauce, cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place bell pepper halves and tomatoes, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten bell peppers with hand. Broil 10 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop, reserving any liquid.
- 3. Combine bell peppers, reserved liquid, tomatoes, and next 8 ingredients (through garlic) in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- 4. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 5. To prepare zucchini, cut 1 zucchini in half crosswise; cut each half lengthwise into 8 wedges. Repeat procedure with remaining zucchini. Combine breadcrumbs, panko, cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish. Dip zucchini in egg substitute; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place zucchini on a wire rack coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat zucchini with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Parmesan Zucchini Sticks with Smoky Roasted Romesco Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Appetizers