YUM!! This is great! But the first step confuses me. Is it to dry out the tofu before putting on coating? I have a good non-stick pan but it always sticks to the pan making a mess. Next time I may try to just press the water out of the tofu before I cut it and then pat it dry and start the dredging process. Has anyone else skipped the first step or pressed out the tofu first?
Parmesan-Herb Crusted Tofu Sandwich
The secret to this sandwich is to slice the tofu very thin, then bread with the parmesan-herb mixture thickly. Water-packed firm tofu works best here; the silken tofu is just too delicate, unless you're immensely careful.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 459
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.2g
- Protein: 22.6g
- Carbohydrate: 60.7g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 9.8mg
- Sodium: 905mg
- Calcium: 366mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu, drained
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (about 2 slices stale bread)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- Remaining ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 4 (2-ounce) sesame buns
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices plum tomato
- To prepare tofu, cut crosswise into 12 slices. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu; cook 5 minutes on each side. Remove tofu from pan; cool to room temperature.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, marjoram, savory, thyme, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Combine 1/8 teaspoon pepper, milk, salt, and egg whites. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge 1 tofu slice in flour. Dip in milk mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining flour, tofu, milk mixture, and breadcrumb mixture. Place a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add tofu; sauté 3 minutes on each side.
- Combine mayonnaise, chives, soy sauce, and garlic. Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture evenly over cut sides of each bun. Arrange 1 lettuce leaf and 3 tomato slices over bottom half of each bun; top each with 3 tofu slices. Cover with tops of buns. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note