- Cooking spray
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 5 tablespoons grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- calories 221
- fat 7.3 g
- satfat 2.8 g
- monofat 2.5 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 17.7 g
- carbohydrate 21.5 g
- fiber 3.9 g
- cholesterol 219 mg
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 557 mg
- calcium 270 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add eggplant, bell pepper, and onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté 5 minutes. Set aside.
Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a medium saucepan; add milk, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook milk mixture for 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Add 3 tablespoons cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground red pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Combine eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in oregano. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Fold in eggplant mixture; pour into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until puffy and set. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.