Healthy, delicious, easy to make, great alternative to fries and even the kids couldn't get enough crunchy goodness. Make more than you think you need. Note: I dipped the squash in flour before the egg bath - worked perfectly. Also, I used leftover zucchini from a charcoal grill that were still a little bit firm. Probably added extra flavor, and they were amazingly not overcooked after baking in this recipe. From now on I'll plan it that way. :)
Parmesan-Crusted Zucchini Fries
These savory Parmesan-Crusted Zucchini Fries are less than 100 calories, so go ahead and splurge on their cheesy, garlicky goodness.
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 33 Minutes
- Calories: 94
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 9.3g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 251mg
- Calcium: 128mg
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) finely shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 small zucchini (1 1/4 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small shallow bowl. Place egg in a separate shallow bowl.
- 3. Trim ends from zucchini; cut each zucchini in half crosswise. Quarter each zucchini half lengthwise to make 24 zucchini sticks. Dip zucchini in egg; dredge in panko mixture; pressing to coat. Place zucchini on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat tops of zucchini with cooking spray.
- 4. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with pasta sauce.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note