I made this last minute after my husband mistakenly bought leeks instead of shallots, which didn't work for the other recipe I had planned. :-) I had 2 large granny smith apples on hand so I added an extra teaspoon of sugar. I also didn't have heavy cream, so I used 1/2 cup of white wine instead & added it at the same time as the other liquids. The dish was really good and I'm already looking forward to leftovers tomorrow. I'll make it again for company next time & I'm sure the cream will thicken the sauce a little & it will be even better.
Parmesan-Crusted Chicken with Leeks and Apples
In keeping with a classic reduction sauce, whipping cream is added to a simmering broth mixture. Beware, though: Half-and-half or any kind of milk will curdle here.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half, 1 cup rice, and about 1/2 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 507
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 35.8g
- Carbohydrate: 63.2g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 748mg
- Calcium: 163mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled Braeburn or Gala apple (about 1 pound)
- 1 2/3 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 small)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon butter or stick margarine
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cups hot cooked wild rice mix (such as Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice )
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add apple, leek, and sugar; sauté 12 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Combine cheese, flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in cheese mixture. Heat butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 4 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Add juice and broth to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook broth mixture until reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 7 minutes).
- Add cream; reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in reserved apple mixture, rosemary, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 2 minutes. Spoon rice onto each of 4 plates; top with chicken and sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes