- 1 pound cleaned calamari tubes (about 15 )
- 30 (6-inch) wooden skewers
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Sauce
How to Make It
Slice tubes in half lengthwise. Thread onto skewers. Combine cheese and next 4 ingredients in a shallow dish. Brush egg white lightly over squid. Dredge squid into breadcrumb mixture.
Place skewers on a lightly greased rack in a broiler pan. Broil calamari 5 1/2 inches from heat 2 to 4 minutes or until golden. Serve warm with Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Basil Sauce.
*Panko, or Japanese breadcrumbs, is available in Asian or gourmet grocery stores.