This recipe was easy and great for a weeknight meal. It's very kid pleasing as well. I did not have (nor would I ever buy) boil in a bag rice, so I know it didn't come out perfect. I used brown rice but cooked it first. I also did not have heaving whipping cream so I subbed three tablespoons of fat free Greek yogurt. I would make this again, it comes together quickly and is satisfying and delicious.
Parmesan Chicken and Rice Casserole
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Katie Stoddard
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 498
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 19.1g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Protein: 38.2g
- Carbohydrate: 43.8g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 122mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 765mg
- Calcium: 198mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (3 1/2-ounce) bags boil-in-bag brown rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Remove rice from bags; add to pan. Sauté 30 seconds. Stir in wine; cook 30 seconds or until liquid almost evaporates. Spoon rice mixture in an even layer into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Arrange chicken thighs in a single layer over rice mixture; sprinkle evenly with thyme and salt. Combine broth and cream, stirring well; pour over chicken and rice mixture.
- 4. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles