- 1.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 tablespoons fine-ground cornmeal
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, finely grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 chicken breast tenders (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- Cooking spray
- calories 336
- fat 12.2 g
- satfat 2.8 g
- monofat 5.5 g
- polyfat 2.4 g
- protein 37 g
- carbohydrate 17 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 143 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 481 mg
- calcium 145 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°. Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium shallow dish.
Combine buttermilk and egg in another shallow dish.
Dip chicken in buttermilk mixture.
Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
Transfer chicken to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
3 Ways to Riff: • Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces for nuggets. • Use skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips, for richer flavor. • Try the breading on tilapia for homemade fish sticks.