Added cream cheese, used half n half along with milk (1/2 cup and 1/2 cup milk), added some garlic, more cheese, paprika..
Parmesan Cheese Sauce
Photo: Lee Harrelson; Styling: Jan Gautro
This versatile creamy sauce is also great over steamed veggies and multi-grain pasta.
This recipe goes with Lightened Hot Browns, Club-Style Lightened Hot Browns With Caramelized Onions
Yield: Makes about 1 1/4 cups
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1. Melt 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. flour into melted butter, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking constantly, 30 seconds to 1 minute or until mixture is golden and lumpy.
- 2. Gradually whisk in 1 cup 1% low-fat milk, and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 to 2 minutes, or until thickened.
- 3. Add 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper, and a pinch of paprika, whisking until smooth. Remove from heat, and use immediately.
- Spicy Cheese Sauce: Prepare Parmesan Cheese Sauce as directed, and whisk in 1 tsp. hot sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments