Delicious and healthy. It's extra yummy with the poblano chile but doesn't suffer too much if you don't have any on hand ... try sautéing a little onion instead and/or more tomato.
Paprika Tomatoes with Poached Eggs (Shakshouka)
Time: 45 minutes. Traditionally, cooks in Tunisia and Israel use a lot of olive oil when making this one-pan tomato and egg dinner, but this lighter version still has enough to help free the tomatoes' lycopene.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 372
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Sodium: 598mg
- Cholesterol: 424mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot or sweet Spanish or Hungarian paprika
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large poblano chile, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 4 large eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Put coriander, cumin, paprika, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a mortar and pound until crushed; or seal in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Add garlic and pound into a paste. Set aside.
- 2. In a 10-in. frying pan over medium heat, cook chile in 1 tbsp. oil, stirring often, until well browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add spice mixture and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in 3/4 cup water, then tomatoes. Cook, turning tomatoes occasionally, until softened, 10 to 20 minutes; add more water, 1/4 cup at a time, if mixture starts to get dry (you should see juices around tomatoes).
- 3. With a wooden spoon, make 4 depressions in tomato mixture and crack an egg into each. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until eggs are set but yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes.
- 4. If you like, drizzle the shakshouka with 1 tbsp. oil, then scoop onto plates and serve with crusty bread.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This