Great recipe. I will defininetly make it again. I didn't have any beer so I used beef broth instead - the flavor was still good. I bet with the beer it will be even more flavorful.
Paprika Short-rib Beef Stew
More From Sunset
3 Hours, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 724
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 31g
- Fat: 52g
- Saturated fat: 22g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 679mg
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons hot paprika
- 2 teaspoons pimentón (smoked Spanish paprika; see Notes)
- About 1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- About 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) beer
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, chopped and juices reserved
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold or russet potatoes
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°. Combine flour, hot paprika, smoked paprika, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper in a large bowl or large resealable plastic bag. Working in batches of 2 or 3, toss short ribs with flour mixture.
- 2. In a large Dutch oven or other heavy ovenproof pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until fat renders. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels and reserve. Pour off all but 1 tbsp. fat from pot. Add short ribs and brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- 3. Chop reserved bacon and set aside. Transfer short ribs to a plate and reserve. Add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt to pot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beer and, using a wooden spoon or spatula, scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add tomatoes and their juices and reserved bacon. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Return short ribs to pot, cover, and bake two hours.
- 4. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-in. pieces. Add to short ribs, cover, and bake until potatoes are tender and meat pulls away easily from the bone, about 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon off excess fat and serve hot.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Notes: Pimentón is available at gourmet grocery stores.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews