Are you mad? The only reason to go to that much time and trouble with an artichoke is if you are serving the whole vegetable to be eaten leaf by leaf down to the choke. There are perfectly good frozen or canned artichokes available and Trader Joe's has an awesome canned product of beautiful whole artichokes. So leaving out the whole tiresome process with the chokes, this turned out to be a so-so dish. I would prefer to have a creamy light sauce with maybe a bit of Gorgonzola. We will see.
Pappardelle with Lemon, Baby Artichokes, and Asparagus
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 411
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 20.2g
- Carbohydrate: 59.5g
- Fiber: 12.2g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 644mg
- Calcium: 217mg
- 12 ounces uncooked pappardelle (wide ribbon pasta)
- 2 1/4 cups cold water, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 24 baby artichokes (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into (1-inch) pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Set pasta aside; keep warm.
- Combine 2 cups water and juice in a medium bowl. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, cut off stem to within 1/4-inch from the base; peel stem. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves, leaving tender heart and bottom; trim about 1 inch from top of artichoke. Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise. Place artichoke halves in lemon water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain artichokes well; pat dry. Add artichokes to pan. Cover and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally; uncover. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 2 minutes or until artichokes are golden, stirring frequently. Place artichokes in a large bowl.
- Place pan over medium heat; add remaining 1/4 cup water and asparagus to pan. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add asparagus, parsley, and rind to artichokes; toss well. Add pasta, reserved cooking liquid, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, thyme, salt, and pepper to artichoke mixture; toss well. Place 2 cups pasta mixture into each of 6 shallow bowls; top each serving with about 3 tablespoons cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This