I hate fresh papaya but I had two of them to use up, so I made this pie and was surprised to find it delicious, tangy and satisfying! Ate it with vanilla bean ice cream. Yum.
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 375
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 2.7g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 58g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 272mg
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- 3 pounds firm-ripe papayas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 package (15 oz.) refrigerated pastry for double-crust 9-inch pie, at room temperature
- All-purpose flour
- 1. Peel papayas, cut in half lengthwise, and discard seeds. Cut papayas lengthwise into 2- to 3-inch-wide slices, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips. Measure 8 cups of fruit; reserve extra for other uses.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch, coriander, cardamom, nutmeg, and lemon peel. Add papayas and lemon juice, and mix.
- 3. Unfold 1 pastry round and ease into a 9-inch pie pan. Fill pastry with fruit mixture.
- 4. Unfold remaining pastry on a lightly floured board and roll into a 13-inch-wide round.
- 5. Center round over fruit. Pinch pastry at rim to seal, then fold edge under itself, flush with pan rim, and pinch to flute. Slash pastry top decoratively. Set pie on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- 6. Bake on the bottom rack of a 375° oven until juices bubble near center, 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes (55 to 65 minutes in a convection oven). If pastry edges get too dark, cover loosely with foil. Cool at least 1 hour. Cut into wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note