Notes: Up to 8 hours ahead, complete recipe through step 2; cover and chill.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 90
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Protein: 1.4g
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 18mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 pounds chilled ripe papayas
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon minced seeded fresh habanero chili or 1 to 2 teaspoons minced seeded fresh red Fresno chili
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced shallots, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound shelled cooked tiny shrimp (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4 in.) peeled, seeded green papaya or cucumber (about 3/4 lb.)
- 1/2 cup diced (1/2 in.) peeled, pitted firm-ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. Peel, seed, and cut enough ripe papaya into 1/2-inch cubes to make 1/2 cup; reserve for garnish. Cut remaining papayas into 1-inch chunks. In a blender or food processor, combine 1-inch papaya chunks, 1/2 teaspoon chili, and orange juice; purée until smooth.
- 2. Pour purée into a bowl; add broth, lime juice, shallots, and additional chili to taste; mix well.
- 3. Ladle into wide bowls. To each bowl, add equal portions shrimp, reserved ripe papaya cubes, diced green papaya, and avocado. Add salt to taste and sprinkle with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This