- 2 pounds chilled ripe papayas
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon minced seeded fresh habanero chili or 1 to 2 teaspoons minced seeded fresh red Fresno chili
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced shallots, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound shelled cooked tiny shrimp (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4 in.) peeled, seeded green papaya or cucumber (about 3/4 lb.)
- 1/2 cup diced (1/2 in.) peeled, pitted firm-ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- calories 90
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- protein 1.4 g
- fat 2.2 g
- satfat 0.3 g
- carbohydrate 18 g
- fiber 1.4 g
- sodium 18 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Peel, seed, and cut enough ripe papaya into 1/2-inch cubes to make 1/2 cup; reserve for garnish. Cut remaining papayas into 1-inch chunks. In a blender or food processor, combine 1-inch papaya chunks, 1/2 teaspoon chili, and orange juice; purée until smooth.
Pour purée into a bowl; add broth, lime juice, shallots, and additional chili to taste; mix well.
Ladle into wide bowls. To each bowl, add equal portions shrimp, reserved ripe papaya cubes, diced green papaya, and avocado. Add salt to taste and sprinkle with cilantro.