Very good. Depending on the bib lettuce size, you may end up with too much lettuce and too little avocado and papaya. Very good flavors and textures of the avo and papaya. Quite an expensive dressing though, $10 for a vanilla bean!
Papaya and Avocado Salads with Hawaiian Vanilla Vinaigrette
Photo: Thayer Allyson Gowdy
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 171
- Calories from fat: 79%
- Protein: 1.3g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 9g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 55mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 6 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Hawaiian (or other) vanilla bean*
- 24 medium-size butter lettuce leaves (from about 3 heads)
- 2 papayas, peeled and sliced
- 2 large avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, salt, and sugar. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise, scrape seeds from one half with the back of a paring knife, and add seeds and scraped pod to vinaigrette (reserve other half of pod for another use). Set aside at room temperature for at least 1 hour to let the vanilla flavor develop.
- 2. Arrange lettuce leaves on a large platter in a single layer. On each leaf, lay 1 or 2 slices of papaya and 1 or 2 slices of avocado. Drizzle vinaigrette over salad.
- *Available at gourmet grocery stores and from hawaiianvanilla.com
- Make ahead: Mix vinaigrette up to 1 day ahead and chill.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note