So good for a Cuban meal. I used soyrizo instead of bacon. It was wonderful.
Papas Aplastadas (Crushed Potatoes)
Howard L. Puckett
- 15 small red potatoes, unpeeled
- 4 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water 15 minutes or until tender; drain and cool slightly.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet. Add bell pepper to skillet; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, cook 1 more minute, and turn off heat.
- Place cooled potatoes on a lightly greased jelly-roll pan. Using the palm of your hand or the smooth side of a meat mallet, crush the potatoes (just enough to break them open). Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with cumin, salt, and pepper. Top with bacon, cooked bell pepper and garlic, green onion, and cheeses. Broil 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables