Peach lovers will want to check out this colorful cake, which features peach filling sandwiched between yellow cake layers and topped with Almond Cream Cheese Frosting and Crystallized Pansies. Though the recipe calls for orange, yellow, and white pansies, you could choose other colors that coordinate better with your wedding.
Southern Living JUNE 2008
1. Prepare and bake 1 Tiered Pansy Cake recipe as directed. Repeat the procedure for the remaining recipe.
2. Cut domed top off each cake layer, using a serrated knife. Brush layers evenly with liqueur.
3. Prepare 1 Almond Cream Cheese Frosting recipe as directed. Repeat the procedure twice.
4. Cover 1 (10-inch), 1 (8-inch), and 1 (6-inch) sturdy cardboard cake circle with aluminum foil.
5. Spread a small amount of frosting on 1 side of 10-inch circle; top with 1 (10-inch) cake layer. Spread 1 jar of preserves over cake layer, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with remaining 10-inch cake layer.
6. Cut 4 wooden craft sticks to the height of 10-inch cake tier; insert vertically into cake tier, evenly spaced and level with top of tier, about 2 1/2 inches from sides.
7. Spread top and sides of cake with frosting, smoothing with a wet metal spatula. Chill up to 2 days, or freeze up to 2 months.
8. Assemble and frost 2 (8-inch) layers on cardboard circle as directed above, using half of the remaining jar of preserves. Assemble and frost 2 (6-inch) layers on cardboard circle as directed above, using remaining preserves and omitting craft sticks. Refrigerate up to 2 days, or freeze up to 2 months.
9. Position 8-inch tier in center of 10-inch tier; position 6-inch tier in center of 8-inch tier. Place cake on stand.
10. Insert a large coupler into a decorating bag. Fit bag with a metal tip. Fill with frosting, and pipe borders. Pipe a shell border on top edge of each tier using tip #21 (Wilton). Pipe a ribbon border on bottom edge of each tier using tip #67 (Wilton). Pipe a shell border, slightly overlapping the ribbon border, on bottom edge of the 10-inch tier.
11. Attach Crystallized Pansies to cake with a small amount of frosting.
Go to full version of