Panko-Crusted Rice Cakes With Lemon-Basil Sauce
Prep: 25 min., Cook: 32 min., Cool: 10 min.
Top these rice cakes with fresh crab meat or shrimp for an easy, elegant appetizer.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/3 cups MAHATMA Enriched Thai Fragrant Long Grain Jasmine Rice, uncooked
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups Italian-style Japanese breadcrumbs (panko), divided
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Garnishes: lemon slices, fresh basil leaves, fresh lettuce leaves
- 1. Bring 2 2/3 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Let cool 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir together rice, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, and next 4 ingredients.
- 3. Shape rice mixture into 16 (3/4-inch-thick) patties. Dredge in remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs.
- 4. Pulse mayonnaise, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil in a food processor or blender 4 to 5 times or until well blended, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste.
- 5. Cook rice cakes, in 2 batches, in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined wire rack. Serve with lemon-basil sauce. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables