Top these rice cakes with fresh crab meat or shrimp for an easy, elegant appetizer.
1. Bring 2 2/3 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Let cool 10 minutes.
2. Stir together rice, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, and next 4 ingredients.
3. Shape rice mixture into 16 (3/4-inch-thick) patties. Dredge in remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs.
4. Pulse mayonnaise, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil in a food processor or blender 4 to 5 times or until well blended, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste.
5. Cook rice cakes, in 2 batches, in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined wire rack. Serve with lemon-basil sauce. Garnish, if desired.