- 1 1/2 pounds thick whitefish fillets (such as cod or catfish)
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), such as Ian's brand
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Lime wedges for serving
- New Potatoes With Chipotle Ketchup
- calories 530
- fat 14.8 g
- satfat 2.2 g
- monofat 8.9 g
- polyfat 2 g
- protein 39 g
- carbohydrate 62 g
- fiber 8 g
- cholesterol 66 mg
- iron 4 mg
- sodium 767 mg
- calcium 110 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°. Soak fillets in buttermilk. Coat bottom of a 13- x 9-inch metal baking pan with 1 tablespoon of oil; set aside. Put panko on a plate; add salt and pepper, and mix well to combine.
When oven is hot, pull fish from buttermilk; let it drain. Dredge still-wet fish in panko, patting to make sure panko adheres, then lay fillets in the prepared pan; drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
Bake fish in top third of oven for 8-15 minutes, depending on thickness of the fish; it will be crisp and golden on the outside and tender and opaque inside when done.
Serve 1 fillet on each of 4 plates with lime wedges and 1/4 of new potatoes and ketchup.