This recipe is delicious! I will definitely make again. It's very easy and nice for company because you can make it ahead. I suggest adding to the crab mixture a teas of worcestershire sauce, a tablespoon of mustard, a teas of hot sauce and some garlic to kick it up a notch. Edit | Remove
Panko-crusted Crab Cake Bites with Roasted Pepper-Chive Aioli
More From Sunset
- Calories: 206
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 11g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 7.6g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 290mg
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- 12 ounces shelled cooked crab
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/4 cups panko (see notes) or fine dried bread crumbs
- Roasted Pepper-Chive Aioli (recipe follows)
- Fresh chives, rinsed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1. Sort through crab and discard any bits of shell.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine celery, minced chives, mayonnaise, egg, mustard, and hot sauce; mix well with a fork. Add crab and 1/4 cup panko; stir gently just to mix.
- 3. Put remaining 1 cup panko in a shallow bowl. Shape crab mixture into 24 cakes, each about 2 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. Turn each cake in panko to coat on all sides, pressing gently to make crumbs adhere. Place cakes slightly apart in an oiled 12- by 17-inch baking pan.
- 4. Bake in a 475° regular or convection oven until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. With a spatula, transfer crab cakes to a platter. Spoon a dollop of Roasted Pepper-Chive Aioli onto each cake. Garnish platter with fresh chives. Serve hot.
- Roasted Pepper-Chive Aioli. In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup chopped drained canned roasted red peppers, 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon minced garlic. Makes about 1/2 cup.
Notes: The Japanese-style coarse bread crumbs called panko are available in many well-stocked supermarkets and in Asian grocery stores. You can make the aioli up to 2 days ahead and the crab cakes through step 3 up to 4 hours ahead; in both cases, cover and chill.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This