Overall I really liked the flavors of this dish BUT like others, I had trouble with the breading staying on the second side of the chicken and yes, it took at least twice as long to cook as the recipe stated. I had to fudge a lot - used corn that I had cut off the cob and frozen last summer, chopped frozen red peppers, threw in some chopped (frozen!) jalapenos - after I cooked the chicken I kept it warm while I quickly sauteed all those things in the same pan. I loved the dressing and thought it added a great deal but I used chives (yes...frozen!) instead of parsley. Served it with some corn muffins and tomato jam. A nice summery meal on a night that the temps are single digits.
Panko-Crusted Chicken with Roasted Corn Hash and Buttermilk Dressing
Chicken breast halves have ballooned beyond reasonable portion size, so just use 2 (8-ouncers), and cut each in half lengthwise to form 4 uniform cutlets. Bread all of your cutlets and get them in the pan in rapid succession so that they soak up fairly equal amounts of bacon flavor.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 50 Minutes
- Calories: 375
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 33.7g
- Carbohydrate: 35.2g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 558mg
- Calcium: 18mg
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper, divided
- 2 (8-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, each cut in half lengthwise
- 4 ears yellow corn with husks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- 2 bottled roasted red bell peppers, chopped (about 4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon bottled roasted red bell pepper liquid
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine 1 cup buttermilk, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes, turning bag occasionally.
- 3. Place corn directly on oven rack. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Cool slightly; remove husks and silks. Cut kernels from ears of corn, and place in a large bowl; discard corn cobs.
- 4. Combine remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk, parsley, and lemon juice in a bowl.
- 5. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon paprika, remaining 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, and panko in a shallow dish. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Dredge chicken in panko mixture.
- 6. Place bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; cook 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add oil to drippings in pan. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and done.
- 7. Combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, corn, bacon, green onions, roasted red peppers, and red pepper liquid in a large bowl. Divide corn mixture evenly among 4 plates; top each with 1 chicken cutlet. Drizzle with buttermilk dressing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note