- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up
- 1 (8-ounce) package thin spaghetti
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (4 1/2-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
How to Make It
Place chicken in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Remove chicken from broth; cool. Reserve 1 cup broth. Bone chicken, and coarsely chop.
Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and set aside.
Sauté onion, celery, and garlic in oil in a large Dutch oven until tender. Add flour; cook until bubbly. Stir in tomatoes and reserved broth; bring to a boil. Add Worcestershire sauce, seasonings, shrimp, mushrooms, and reserved chicken; mix well. Gently fold spaghetti into chicken mixture.
Spoon half of spaghetti-chicken mixture into a greased, shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Top with remaining spaghetti mixture. Dot with butter; cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese; bake, uncovered, 15 minutes.