Prep: 11 minutes; Cook: 47 minutes; other: 2 hours
Serve this dessert chilled or at room temperature with a cup of coffee or vinsanto (Italian sweet wine).
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 249
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 39.5g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 4mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup pitted prunes, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup dried Calimyrna figs, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°.
- 2. Coat an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray.
- 3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, almonds, and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl; stir until flour coats fruit and nuts. Set aside.
- 4. Combine honey and granulated sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring syrup to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Carefully and quickly add hot syrup to fruit mixture; stir quickly with a wooden spoon to coat. Quickly spread mixture evenly into prepared pan, pressing lightly with back of spoon. Bake at 300° for 30 minutes (mixture will be soft and appear underdone but will firm as it cools). Cool at least 2 hours in pan on a wire rack (or cool 1 day for best results). Remove panforte from pan; remove parchment paper. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into wedges. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Panforte (pan-FOHR-tay) is a cross between candy and fruit cake. This specialty from Siena is a typical Christmas dessert, but it can easily be found year-round in pastry shops throughout Italy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note