I chose this recipe specifically because of the praise for poletna, and I am glad I did. For this recipe I used Boars Head Pancetta and Dellalo Polenta, which was more expensive, but I did notice that it was slightly smaller grain than cornmeal. This recipe was quick and easy to make, and very easy to make look elegant, especially if you shape the polenta with the 1/2 c. measure. My recipe turned out just a tad bit salty, and next time I would probably reduce unnecessary salt, or find a lower sodium pancetta, but for the time being I reduced the amount of pancetta that I added on top and that worked just fine. I found that the ingredients worked very well together, and I was quite surprised to pick up the flavors of the parmesan. When all was done, this recipe cost about 2.73 per meal. This also worked well as leftovers.
Pancetta and Swiss Chard with Soft Polenta
Any bitter green makes a great companion for the rich, creamy polenta, says Chiarello. Choose kale, broccoli rabe, or mustard greens in place of the chard.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup chard mixture, 1/2 cup polenta, and 1 tablespoon parmesan)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 322
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 23.5g
- Carbohydrate: 35.9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 955mg
- Calcium: 392mg
- 2 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Soft Polenta
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shaved fresh Parmesan
- Cook pancetta in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until crisp (about 10 minutes). Remove pancetta from pan.
- Add garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Cook until mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup (about 5 minutes).
- Add chard, salt, and pepper, tossing to coat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until chard is tender. Serve over Soft Polenta; top with pancetta and Parmesan.
- (Totals include Soft Polenta)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes