Pancakes (mmm-mmm) From Canadian version Five Roses Cook Book
Awesome pancakes. The old Five Roses Flour book says that "the secret of tender pancakes or waffles is to stir the batter only until dry ingredients are just blended....The griddle is hot enough when drops of water sprinkled on the surface will dance...too cool, the pancakes will be flat and tough... too hot, they will brown on the outside before the middle is cooked... cook pancakes until top side is full of bubbles; turn to the other side. Turn only once during cooking."
- 1 1/3 cup(s) (330mL) flour
- 3 tablespoon(s) (30mL) sugar
- 3 teaspoon(s) (15mL) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) (7mL) salt
- 1 1/4 cup(s) (310mL) milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon(s) (30mL) butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) (1.25mL) vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients. In separate bowl, beat egg, add milk. Make well in centre of dry ingredients; slowly add egg-milk mixture. Add melted butter or oil.
- Stir quickly till just mixed and batter is still lumpy in appearance.
- Do NOT over mix or pancakes will not be light and fluffy.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls on hot griddle/frying pan.
- Heat fry pan to medium heat.
- Top side bubbly, under-side golden brown - turn once.
- When little bubbles can be seen over surface of pancake flip and finish cooking on other side.
- Variation for blueberry (or other berries): increase sugar to 1/3 cup. Reduce milk to 1 cup. Add 1 cup floured berries. Cook slower than plain pancakes
- My favourite variations:
- Spice: Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Banana: Reduce sugar to 1 T and add 1 mashed banana and dash of pepper.
- Blueberry: Increase sugar to 1/3 cup and reduce milk to 1 cup. Add 1 cup of wild blueberries.
- Strawberry: Reduce milk to 1/3 cup and add 1 cup mashed strawberries.
- Nutrition Facts Serving Size 61.7g
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 130
- Calories from Fat 42
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat 4.7g 7%
- Saturated Fat 2.8g 14%
- Trans Fat 0.0g
- Cholesterol 30mg 10%
- Sodium 161mg 7%
- Total Carbohydrates 18.8g 6%
- Dietary Fiber 0.6g 2%
- Sugars 5.4g
- Protein 3.3g
- • Vitamin A 4%
- • Vitamin C 0%
- • Calcium 11%
- • Iron 6%
- * Based on a 2000 calorie diet
- Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
- Nutrition Grade 96% confidence: B
- Good points
- High in phosphorus
- Bad points
- High in saturated fat
- High in sugar
- Read more: http://caloriecount.about.com/pancakes-classic-five-roses-cookbook-recipe-r248731#ixzz1nKZ4oTVZ
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Sher777 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note