This recipe certainly has potential, but as it stands it is too, too tart. if we try it again, I am thinking of possibly doing red wine instead of white and omitting the lemon juice and green olives. The flavors that should shine in this dish; fennel, garlic, orange zest, just get overpowered by everything else. The cooking time on the tuna is also off (I did mine for a full five minutes and even that was well done).
Pan-Seared Tuna with Olive-Wine Sauce
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 365
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Protein: 43.6g
- Carbohydrate: 23.1g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 258mg
- Calcium: 25mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons chopped pitted Greek black olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 (6-ounce) tuna steaks (2 inches thick)
- 2 cups hot cooked couscous
- Orange rind (optional)
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add fennel seeds and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until seeds are lightly toasted. Spoon mixture into a bowl. Add wine, olives, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon orange rind, and red pepper; stir well, and set aside.
- Sprinkle black pepper and salt over tuna. Recoat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until very hot. Add tuna; sauté 5 minutes on each side or until medium-rare or to desired degree of doneness. Remove tuna from skillet. Spoon couscous into each of 4 large shallow bowls; arrange tuna to the side. Set aside; keep warm.
- Add wine mixture to skillet; cook 2 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced. Pour sauce evenly over steaks. Garnish with orange rind, if desired.
- Note: Substitute kalamata olives for Greek black olives, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note