A great easy summer meal. I made it just for my husband and I so used 1 pound scallops and halved the veggies roughly. Try to use 'dry' scallops if possible. I should have cooked the veggies a bit more.. the edamame was too hard. I used basil and had to make buttermilk out of 1% milk and lemon juice as I did not have it on hand.
Pan-seared Scallops with Summer Succotash
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 3 scallops and 1/4 of succotash)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 408
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 40g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 7g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 316mg
- Calcium: 110mg
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 7 ears) or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 1 (8-ounce) bag frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped tarragon or basil, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1. Rinse scallops, and pat dry. Pull muscle from side of scallops, and discard. Season with pepper, to taste.
- 2. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium nonstick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over moderately high heat. Cook scallops, turning once, 4 minutes (depending on size of scallops) or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- 3. Lower heat to medium; add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Cook bell pepper, shallot, and garlic, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until slightly softened.
- 4. Stir in the corn and edamame, and cook, stirring occasionally, an additional 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 5. Add the cider vinegar, and cook, stirring constantly, until completely evaporated, about 1 minute. Pour in the buttermilk; cook, stirring, until reduced in half. Stir in chopped tarragon, and spoon vegetables into 4 bowls. Top evenly with scallops; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes