- 4 cups cubed peeled eggplant (about 1 small)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, un-drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (17-ounce) tube polenta, cut into 8 slices
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- calories 295
- fat 10.3 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- protein 9.4 g
- carbohydrate 42.3 g
- cholesterol 4 mg
- iron 3.0 mg
- sodium 972 mg
- caloriesfromfat 31 %
- fiber 5.4 g
- calcium 154 mg
How to Make It
Sprinkle eggplant with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a colander; let stand 30 minutes. Rinse well; pat dry with paper towels.
Drain roasted bell peppers; cut peppers into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, zucchini, and onion; sauté 8 minutes. Add garlic and roasted bell pepper; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, vinegar, and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Set aside and keep warm.
Wipe pan with paper towels, and heat over medium-high heat. Coat polenta with cooking spray; add to pan. Sear on each side 3 to 4 minutes or until browned.
Place 2 slices of polenta on each of 4 plates; top evenly with eggplant mixture, basil, pine nuts, and cheese.