Pan-Roasted Sausages with Apples, Onions, and Sage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 sweet Italian sausages (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages, and cook, turning occasionally, 6 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet, and set aside.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add mushrooms, and cook 1 minute. Add bell pepper and apples, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly softened. Stir in sage, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and sausages.
Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until sausages are cooked through and vegetables are tender.