Pan-roasted Sablefish with Mushrooms and Sour Cream
Photo: Thomas J. Story
More From Sunset
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and cut into 1/2-in.-thick slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 4 skinned sablefish fillets, each about 1 in. thick (about 1 lb. total), rinsed and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large, ovenproof (not nonstick) frying pan over medium-high heat, sauté mushrooms, thyme, 1/2 tsp. salt, and the pepper in 2 1/2 tbsp. oil until mushrooms are crisp and brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add wine and garlic and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to a bowl.
- 2. Wipe out pan; pour in 1 1/2 tbsp. oil. Salt fish lightly on skinned side and set it, skinned side down, in pan. Cook 5 minutes on stove, then bake until fish is almost opaque, 3 to 6 minutes.
- 3. Transfer fillets to plates. Pour out liquid from pan, scrape pan clean, and set over medium-low heat. Reheat mushrooms, pour off any excess liquid, and stir in sour cream. Spoon mushrooms over fish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This