Pan-Roasted Chicken with Tarragon Crème Fraîche
From author Jane Sigal, based on a dish served at Paris's Coinstot Vino. Key to the dish is the fragrant spice mixture. Do not reduce the that finishes the dish; just make sure it's heated through before serving. This recipe can be prepared one day ahead through Step 2. Refrigerate the steamed vegetables; keep the spice mixture at room temperature. Recipe adapted from "Essential Pépin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food" by Jacques Pépin, French cooking legend.
- 1 teaspoon(s) coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon(s) yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon(s) black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried summer savory or dried oregano
- 4 medium fingerling potatoes, haved lengthwise
- 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally 1 inch thick
- 1/4 head(s) cauliflower, cut into 1 1/2-inch florets
- 1/4 pound(s) haricots verts or thin green beans
- 5 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves with skin
- 1/4 cup(s) chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup(s) crÃ¨me fraÃ®che
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped tarragon
- 1. In a spice grinder, combine the coriander and mustard seeds with the peppercorns and summer savory and grind to a powder.
- 2. Set a steamer basket in a wide pot and bring 1 inch of water to a simmer. Layer the vegetables in the basket starting with the potatoes, then the carrots, cauliflower and beans. Cover and steam over moderate heat until the beans are just tender, 3 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Steam until the cauliflower is tender, 3 minutes more; add to the bowl. Steam the carrots and potatoes until tender, 10 minutes longer; add to the bowl.
- 3. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the steamed vegetables and cook over moderately high heat, tossing, until heated through and coated with butter, about 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and coat all over with the ground spices. In another large skillet, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the chicken breasts skin side down and cook over moderately low heat until the skin is well browned, about 12 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook, basting a few times, until just cooked through, about 7 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a platter.
- 5. Rewarm the vegetables. Add the chicken stock to the skillet and boil over high heat for 2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Add the crème fraîche and bring to a boil, stirring. Remove from the heat and stir in the tarragon. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, mound the vegetables alongside and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note