- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boned skinned chicken breast halves (8 oz. each)
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 3 sprigs thyme, plus chopped thyme for garnish
- 8 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, rinsed and halved, or halved button mushrooms
- About 1/2 tsp. salt
- About 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound slender asparagus, trimmed
- 1/4 cup freshly and finely shredded parmesan
- calories 355
- caloriesfromfat 25 %
- protein 58 g
- fat 9.8 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- carbohydrate 8.3 g
- fiber 1.8 g
- sodium 582 mg
- cholesterol 132 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy ovenproof frying pan (not nonstick) over high heat until oil is hot but not smoking. Add chicken breasts, top side down, and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn chicken over.
Add shallots and garlic to pan with chicken, stirring occasionally so garlic doesn't burn, until shallots are soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken stock, thyme sprigs, mushrooms, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper and cook until mixture begins to boil, about 1 minute.
Lay asparagus over chicken, then cover pan and put in oven. Bake 14 to 16 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through (cut to check) and asparagus is tender (see Notes). Transfer chicken to a plate.
Season asparagus-shiitake-stock mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Divide vegetables among 4 rimmed plates or shallow pasta bowls, top each with a piece of chicken, and spoon sauce over all. Garnish with chopped thyme and parmesan.
Note: Nutrition analysis is per serving.