Pan-Roasted Carrots with Leeks, Pancetta, and Thyme
Community Recipe from
- 3 to 4 very thin slices pancetta (about 1 oz.)
- 2-1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. leeks (about 3 medium), white and light-green parts only, trimmed and quartered
- 1 lb. medium carrots, quartered
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs. dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1-1/4 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F. In a 12-inch oven-safe skillet, cook the pancetta over medium-low heat until brown, turning as necessary, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels (it will crisp as it cools);remove the skillet from the heat and cool slightly.
- Put the skillet over medium heat and add 1-1/2 Tbs. of the butter and the olive oil. When the butter has melted, arrange the leek and carrot pieces on the bottom of the pan in a snug single layer. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt and cook, undisturbed, until the bottoms of the vegetables are browned (the leeks may be slightly darker than the carrots), about 5 minutes. Using tongs, flip the vegetables and add 1/3 cup of the wine. Continue to cook undisturbed until the wine has almost evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth, half of the thyme, and the coriander, and transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Roast until the carrots are tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a warm platter. Put the skillet over medium-high heat (use caution; the handle is hot), add the remaining 2 Tbs. wine and stir for a few seconds, scraping up any browned bits. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the remaining 1 Tbs. butter and 1/2 tsp. thyme, and stir to melt the butter. Pour the sauce over the vegetables, crumble the pancetta over top, and serve.
- serving suggestions
- Serve with a roasted leg of lamb for a special occasion or with a simple roasted pork loin for a Sunday meal.
- nutrition information (per serving):
- Calories (kcal): 190; Fat (g): 11; Fat Calories (kcal): 100; Saturated Fat (g): 6; Protein (g): 4; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 4; Carbohydrates (g): 15; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1; Sodium (mg): 280; Cholesterol (mg): 25; Fiber (g): 3;
- photo: Scott Phillips
- From Fine Cooking 116 , pp. 55
- March 1, 2012
This recipe is a personal recipe added by batesballard22 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Pan-Roasted Carrots with Leeks, Pancetta, and Thyme Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables