My husband and I -LOVE- this recipe. To make it vegetarian, we sub Mushroom Soy Sauce for the Fish sauce. I also use Splenda instead of sugar, lemon juice instead of lemongrass (since it's hard to find around here), and Sriracha chili sauce for the red Thai chili. We eat this a few times a month and never tire of it.
Pan-Fried Tofu with Spicy Lemongrass Sauce (Tofu Nuong Xa)
The original version of this Vietnamese-style tofu dish calls for deep-frying the tofu. Pan-searing renders a healthier version that's just as delicious. This recipe earned our Test Kitchens' highest rating.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 180
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 14.5g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 832mg
- Calcium: 82mg
- 2 (15-ounce) packages water-packed extrafirm tofu
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (such as Three Crabs)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh lemongrass
- 1 red Thai chile, minced
- Cut each tofu block crosswise into 8 slices. Arrange tofu in a single layer on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Cover tofu with additional paper towels; let stand 15 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add tofu; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Set aside and keep warm.
- Combine sugar and fish sauce, stirring with a whisk until blended. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add lemongrass and chile; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in sugar mixture, and cook 1 minute. Serve lemongrass spread with tofu.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note