These were so easy and so good. My local grocery store stopped carrying bean sprouts so I used a broccoli and carrot slaw and watercress instead. Omitted the shrimp cause I served it with Coconut curry chicken soup and I didn't feel like I needed to add more meat. Felt like I was eating take out!
Pan-Fried Egg Rolls
Rather than the usual filling mishmash, these family-tradition egg rolls keep the ingredients more distinct, similar to spring or summer rolls. The family likes to pan-fry these so they're crisp without the fuss and mess of deep-frying. You'll find sweet chili sauce in the Asian foods section of most supermarkets.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 39 Minutes
- Calories: 103
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 8.7g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 207mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce, divided
- 12 ounces fresh bean sprouts, chopped
- 12 (8-inch) egg roll wrappers
- 12 cooked jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, and split in half lengthwise (about 13 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons less-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Combine 3 tablespoons chili sauce and bean sprouts, tossing well to coat.
- 2. Working with 1 egg roll wrapper at a time (cover remaining wrappers to prevent drying), place wrapper onto work surface with 1 corner pointing toward you (wrapper should look like a diamond). Spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons bean sprout mixture into center of wrapper; top with 2 shrimp halves and 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro. Fold lower corner of wrapper over filling; fold in side corners. Moisten top corner of wrapper with water; roll up jelly-roll fashion. Place egg roll, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining wrappers, bean sprout mixture, shrimp, and cilantro.
- 3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 egg rolls, seam side down; cook 7 minutes or until golden, turning occasionally. Place on a wire rack. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 6 egg rolls.
- 4. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon chili sauce, vinegar, and remaining ingredients. Serve sauce with egg rolls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note