I think this recipe is great the way it is. I followed the recipe and my husband (a meat-eater) said he would definitely eat it again. Just make sure that you fry the tofu to where it is golden brown and crispy. Tastes so good with the crunchy crust on the tofu.
Pan-Crisped Tofu with Greens and Peanut Dressing
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
This sweet-salty dressing deliciously turns crisp tofu and salad greens into a light lunch or dinner. Allow 30 minutes in your prep time for pressing the tofu.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 266
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.8g
- Protein: 13.9g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 375mg
- Calcium: 227mg
- 1/3 cup white miso (soybean paste)
- 1/3 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts, divided
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 (14-ounce) packages water-packed firm tofu, drained
- 8 cups gourmet salad greens
- Minced fresh chives (optional)
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients, 1/4 cup peanuts, and 3 tablespoons oil in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 2. Cut each tofu block crosswise into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Arrange tofu on several layers of paper towels. Top with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Remove tofu from paper towels.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 8 tofu slices to pan; sauté 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Remove from pan, and drain tofu on paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 8 tofu slices. Place 1 cup greens on each of 8 plates. Top each serving with 2 tofu slices, 3 tablespoons miso mixture, and 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped peanuts. Garnish each serving with chives, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes