The only thing good about it was the fish, the tomatoes, and the bread. Everything else was just a weird combination of very strong and contrasting flavors and textures. I won't be making it again.
Pan Bagnat (Niçoise Salad Sandwiches)
Photo: Romulo Yanes; Food Styling: Simon Andrews; Prop Styling: Helen Crowther
These sandwiches take everything you love about a Niçoise salad and put it between two slices of a baguette.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 390
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 32.5g
- Carbohydrate: 39.3g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 140mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 701mg
- Calcium: 69mg
- 2 large eggs
- 3 (5-ounce) fresh albacore tuna steaks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 4 (6-inch) pieces French bread baguette, halved lengthwise
- 24 Quick Pickled Dilly Green Beans
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 1/2 small bulb)
- 5 kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup arugula leaves
- 1. Place eggs in a small saucepan. Cover with water to 1 inch above eggs; bring just to a rolling boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold running water until cool. Peel and slice eggs, and set aside.
- 2. Heat a large cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fish with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add fish to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cut tuna steaks across the grain into thin slices.
- 3. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1/3-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Arrange 6 Quick Pickled Dilly Green Beans on each of 4 bottom bread halves. Arrange tuna evenly over green beans. Top with 2 tomato slices. Arrange the fennel over tomato. Divide olives among each of 4 top halves of bread; drizzle each top half of bread with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil. Divide arugula and sliced eggs evenly among top halves of bread, and sprinkle remaining black pepper evenly over eggs. Place the top halves of bread on bottom halves; cut each sandwich in half.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note