This receipe was light and delicious. Easy to make. The family really enjoyed it. I've made 2 weekends in a row. Yum.
Photo: Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 11.7g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 540mg
- Calcium: 136mg
- 3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 (1-ounce) slices diagonally cut day-old French bread (about 1 inch thick)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1. Combine milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, salt, and eggs in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Place bread slices in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish; pour egg mixture over bread; turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until egg is absorbed.
- 2. Combine strawberries, remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, and rind in a small bowl. Let stand 20 minutes.
- 3. Melt 2 teaspoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 bread slices to pan; cook 3 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining butter and bread.
- 4. Place 2 bread slices on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar; top each with 1/2 cup strawberry mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch