I make something almost exactly like this, but I use about 1/2 the onion and only 1/2 cup edamame and add artichokes, paprika and thyme. I've been making it for years and it's on my blog, Chez Cayenne.
Paella with Soy Chorizo and Edamame
Paella is a rice dish that hails from the Valencia region on the east coast of Spain. If Valencia rice is not available, use Arborio rice, but be sure not to stir the dish too much because paella is not meant to be creamy like a risotto.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 313
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 41.7g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 525mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- 6 ounces meatless soy chorizo (such as Soyrizo)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 large)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Valencia or other medium-grain rice
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) pieces red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans), thawed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add soy chorizo to pan, and cook for 12 minutes or until browned, crumbling and stirring occasionally. Place in a small bowl, and set aside.
- 2. Return pan to medium heat. Add olive oil, swirling to coat. Add yellow onion; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add saffron and garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup rice and bell pepper; cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in white wine, and cook for 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently. Add vegetable broth and salt; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- 3. Return soy chorizo to pan, and stir in edamame. Cook for 5 minutes or until edamame is thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and 1/4 cup green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note