- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup uncooked short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 pounds littleneck clams
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 lemon wedges
- calories 340
- fat 9.1 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- monofat 5.2 g
- polyfat 1.3 g
- protein 14.8 g
- carbohydrate 52.7 g
- fiber 5.6 g
- cholesterol 21 mg
- iron 10 mg
- sodium 651 mg
- calcium 68 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°.
Heat oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, poblanos, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add rice and saffron. Cook 2 minutes; stir constantly. Add 2 cups water, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper; bring to a boil.
Bake at 450° for 50 minutes or until rice is done. Stir in corn and tomatoes. Nestle clams into rice mixture. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until shells open, and discard unopened shells.
Return the pan to medium-high heat, and cook without stirring 10 minutes or until liquid evaporates and rice browns. (It should smell toasty but not burned.) Top with parsley; serve with lemon wedges.