- 6 whole chicken breasts, split
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound chorizo or Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 pound pork, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Chablis or other dry white wine
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 2 cups uncooked regular rice
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen green peas
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimientos, drained
- 1 dozen large shrimp, peeled (tails on), and deveined
- 1 dozen crab claws
- 1 dozen clams in shells, cleaned
- 4 fish fillets (about 3/4 pound)
- Lemon wedges
How to Make It
Season chicken breasts with salt, paprika, and pepper. Brown in 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
Sauté sausage, pork, onion, green pepper, and garlic in remaining olive oil until meats are browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Set aside.
Combine chicken broth, wine, bay leaves, tomato, and saffron in a stock pot; stir well, and simmer 15 minutes. Add rice and browned meats and vegetables. Cover and cook over medium heat 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Transfer contents of stock pot to paella pan (or 3 1/2-quart shallow baking dish). Discard bay leaves. Gently stir in peas, artichoke hearts, and pimientos. Add shrimp and crab claws so that tips stand up. Distribute clams and fillets evenly throughout dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until shrimp are pink. Spoon paella in center of a serving platter; garnish with lemon. Serve immediately.