This is terrible! Ketchup?! America's Test Kitchen has an authentic pad thai recipe that blows doors off this one. The key, I believe, is tamarind, which I was out of, so I gave this one a shot. Terrible mistake! Even my husband who would bathe in ketchup and pad thai didn't like this recipe. Skip it!
Pad Thai (Thai Fried Rice Noodles)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 345
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 22.9g
- Carbohydrate: 41.4g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 197mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 1280mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- 1/2 pound uncooked rice sticks (rice-flour noodles)
- 4 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Combine rice sticks and boiling water in a bowl; let stand 10 minutes or until soft. Drain; set aside.
- Combine fish sauce, ketchup, sugar, and 3 tablespoons water in a bowl; stir well. Set aside.
- Combine peanuts, green onions, cilantro, and pepper in a bowl; stir well. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, and stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes. Remove shrimp from skillet; set aside, and keep warm.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add eggs; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add rice sticks and fish sauce mixture; stir-fry 3 minutes. Return shrimp to skillet; add bean sprouts, and stir-fry an additional 30 seconds. Spoon 2 cups mixture onto each of 6 plates; top each with 2 tablespoons peanut mixture, and serve with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes