Oysters with Mignonette Ice
Serving oysters on the half shell with a little scoop of the frozen red wine mixture adds both flavor to the oysters and color to your presentation.
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine*
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 24 oysters in the shell
- Rock salt
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture into a shallow dish; freeze, uncovered, 3 hours or until firm. Flake ice mixture with a fork.
- Shuck oysters, discarding top shells; run knife under meat of oyster to release. Place half shells on a serving platter lined with rock salt. Spoon 1 teaspoon mignonette ice onto each oyster; serve immediately.
- *For testing purposes, we used Pinot Noir.
- Note: To aid the shucking process, place oysters on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes to open shells slightly.
Find a high-quality red wine vinegar when preparing this recipe. Lesser quality vinegars may taste harsh.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note