Oysters with Mignonette Ice
Howard L. Puckett
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine*
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 24 oysters in the shell
- Rock salt
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture into a shallow dish; freeze, uncovered, 3 hours or until firm. Flake ice mixture with a fork.
- Shuck oysters, discarding top shells; run knife under meat of oyster to release. Place half shells on a serving platter lined with rock salt. Spoon 1 teaspoon mignonette ice onto each oyster; serve immediately.
- *For testing purposes, we used Pinot Noir.
- Note: To aid the shucking process, place oysters on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes to open shells slightly.
Find a high-quality red wine vinegar when preparing this recipe. Lesser quality vinegars may taste harsh.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers