Notes: Buy shucked oysters in jars or use about 30 freshly shucked oysters. As a substitute for hot smoked Spanish paprika, mix 1 1/2 teaspoons regular paprika with 1 1/2 teaspoons ground dried chipotle chili (whirl to a powder in a blender).
Sunset JUNE 1998
1. Stir almonds in a 6- to 8-inch frying pan over medium heat until golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
2. Pour nuts into a food processor or blender. When slightly cooled, whirl to a fine powder.
3. In a bowl, combine nuts, garlic, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon olive oil; mix well.
4. In a plastic food bag, combine flour, paprika, and salt. Drop in oysters, a few at a time, and shake to coat. Lift from bag, shaking off excess flour mixture. Lay oysters slightly apart on a sheet of waxed paper. Discard extra flour.
5. Place a nonstick 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat. When hot, add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat pan. Add half of the coated oysters and brown well on each side, turning once, about 2 minutes total. Drain on towels and keep warm.
6. Add remaining oil to pan and brown remaining oysters.
7. Serve the oysters with the almond aioli sauce.
Go to Full Version of