Oysters on the Half Shell with Pickled-ginger Salsa
Photo: France Ruffenach
- 3 tablespoons chopped pickled ginger
- 1/4 cup peeled and diced jicama
- 1/4 cup peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 24 fresh oysters
- Combine first 11 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Shuck each oyster by carefully inserting the point of an oyster knife at the hinge end of the shells and twisting. (Don't lose the juices.) Discard top shells. Free the oyster from the bottom shell by gently sliding a knife underneath it. Serve with Pickled-ginger Salsa.
- Chef John Recommends: A citrusy, non-oaked Sauvignon Blanc. Alternative Pour: A lean California brut sparkling wine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This