Oysters on the Half-Shell with Grilled Garden Salsa
Tractor Dave Muff roasted the vegetables over local red oak logs and grew and pickled his own artichokes (jarred are a good substitute). Leftover salsa is great on eggs, fish, or chicken.
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 45
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 4.9g
- Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 3.3g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 69mg
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- 2 cups red oak chips* (or 3 oak or pecan chunks), soaked in water for at least 20 minutes
- 1/2 red jalapeño or red Fresno chile
- 2 to 3 red chiles de arbol or red Fresno chiles
- 3/4 pound whole unpeeled tomatoes
- 3/4 pound whole unpeeled onions
- 4 brined jarred artichoke hearts (about 7 oz.), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped purslane (optional)
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- About 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 dozen oysters on the half-shell
- 1. Prepare a grill for medium heat (350° to 450°). If using charcoal, add chips or wood chunks evenly over coals. If using gas, put chips or chunks in a shallow foil pan set on burner in corner of grill. Grill chiles, tomatoes, and onions, turning often, until skins blacken all over, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2. Let vegetables cool, then peel. Stem and seed chiles. Chop vegetables and put in a medium pot with artichokes, herbs, purslane, vinegar, and 1/2 tsp. salt; bring to a boil, then cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions soften, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat; let sit 1 hour, covered, so flavors can marry.
- 3. Purée roughly in a food processor, thinning with hot water to make it pourable. Let cool and season with salt to taste. Serve with oysters.
- *Find red oak chips online from Susie Q's Brand (susieqbrand.com).
Nutritional analysis is per oyster with 1 tsp. salsa.
Make ahead: Up to 1 week, chilled.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Oysters on the Half-Shell with Grilled Garden Salsa Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This