- 2 bacon slices, diced
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup vermouth
- 2 pints fresh oysters, undrained
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Rosemary Croutons
How to Make It
Cook first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat 12 minutes or until onion and celery are tender. Add vermouth, and simmer 1 minute. Add oysters.
Whisk together flour and clam juice in a small bowl; whisk into soup. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer 1 minute or until oyster edges begin to curl. Reduce heat to medium-low; add half-and-half and next 4 ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated. (Do not boil.) Serve with Rosemary Croutons.
Fix it Faster: Use prechopped fresh celery and onion that's now available in most grocery store produce departments.